Friday, March 13, 2009

The Truth. What are WE gonna do about it?

This right here is right up my alley... I believe there are a lot of social stereotypes that have been instigated or subliminally placed in the Black Race, which leads and has led to the complete destruction of the "Black Family". Now I'm not here saying that it is a white persons fault that things are like they are today. Yesterday? Yes, history proves that. But today? No it is our own fault that we choose to continue to promote and gravitate toward destructive behaviors. I am guilty just as the next man is, so I am not pointing fingers, I'm simply stating that in order for this to change, we must be willing to change AT the SAME time.
A lot of people don't realize that People who have a voice, such as myself, should use it. To educate, to reverse, to inform. Some of our biggest entertainers push off negative stereotypical images to our kids, who in turn wanna be "just like them" so they exchange learning at school to "Trap", or they exchange getting a job, to "work the block" because that is what their "heroes" do. But what these "hereos" don't let these kids know, is that they are indeed quite intelligent, and handling multi-million dollar careers, with staff and and assistants. They are sitting in corporate meetings and making business decisions. Among those decisions are the false images they are gonna portray to you, to get you to continue to buy into
their image. Now don't get me wrong... Many of your favorite rappers did have to be in the "Trap" and hustle on the streets before they made it. But only because they had no other choice. Once the music offered them another choice, Almost EVERY single one abandoned the "Trap" lifestyle. The few that didn't are the ones you read about that go in and out of jail, and most of their career is spent behind bars with albums out that they can't promote.
So that is why I choose to do the music I do. To educate and at the same time have fun. But it gets harder and harder to accept the "fun" part when I see all of our youth in gangs, having children at 12 and 13, and acting as if its ok because "Lil Wayne" said so. So that is an artist like myself's dilemna. Find the right balance of "fun" (so that you will listen) & and "truth" (so that you get something out of it) To much of one, I'm "soulja boy" (who is 18 yrs old, so he is supposed to be having fun) To much of the other, I'm "Chuck D"... who? Exactly. One of the illest MC's to ever touch a mic, but because he ONLY speaks truth. Today's generation will NEVER hear him. The Truth is unacceptable today. Check him out here: Fight the Power & He Got Game
Now the video below is another truth that you might not have thought about in this aspect. Different angle, Same truth. Now my question is, What are WE gonna do about it?

After you watch the video below,
check out FLYBOYS "BRAG-n-TRUTH" CLICK HERE

Follow Flyboy on Twitter: Click here
Add Flyboy on Myspace: Click here
Watch Flyboy on Youtube: Click here

3 comments:

  1. That's good Flyboy you are willing to speak the truth because so many are not. I guess they don't want to be different by stating what they believe in or what changes need to be made. You have a great opportunity in the many platforms that you have to share your voice and thoughts. In order for things to change people have to change their thoughts. For instance the video talked about black men being promiscuous, this can be changed. Men sometimes don't care and vice versa, I mean people still don't stop and think about the lives they are hurting by sleeping around. We just need to teach our sons and daughters to talk and be responsible but how can we teach them if we haven't gotten the lesson ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So So true and myself as a parent I struggle with this everyday because I know my son is at the age where he is listening to this music and singing every line and I always have to remind him that alot of the things that they are saying in this music is not what life is about so I love that Flyboy speaks his mind and gives us the turth so keep doing what you are doing Flyboy and your message will be heard as well... I also love what Tee had to say to.. Thats a great point

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with both Tee & Lucky here. As a race, we have been conditioned for so long to behave a certain way, and it has perpetuated from generation to generation. It is a cycle that *must* be broken, if we are to free ourselves.

    It has come to the point that I just don't allow my daughter to listen to today's music, solely because of the message that is being sent out. By allowing our kids to hear this, we are telling them it is okay to sleep with whomever they want, whenever they want, it's okay to be disrespectful, disobedient...just get yours.

    It seems that the more I see people using their voice to inform us of these issues, the more I hear the 'trash' that others are spreading. We've got to step up the pace, or we will lose this battle.

    ReplyDelete