Monday, March 16, 2009

Poetry = Rap without a beat!

I met this guy several years back in Atlanta, Ga at the Uptown Comedy Club. It was also the first time I met Comedian Lil Duval. (Lil Duval was unknown then, on the come up) But there was an open mic for comedy, poetry and rap/r&b on Tuesday Nights. Obviously I'd go up there to showcase my songs, But I remember the first time I heard Jon Goode do his thing. I was speechless. I had always heard about Poetry Slams and Poetry Night, but I always thought that that was for women or "neo-soul" type men. Ya dig where I'm going? But he started his set and said a poem that made me instantly realize that, Poetry is DOPE. It's the same as what I do, just without the beat. Sometimes it's even MORE powerful because there is no beat. Nothing to distract you from the words. As the Poet paints you a vivid picture, and takes your mind and emotions on a journey. All I can say is that I love Poetry and I suggest if they have Poetry Night at the Club or Lounge near you, don't be like me and think that it's not for you. It is.... It's for all of us. And no you don't have to burn incense and drink green tea. They serve Henny and coke, Goose and all that other poison..lol.
Take a listen to my friend Jon Goode Below and see what a talent I was introduced to back then. The video isn't really for 18 and under, so don't watch if you're a youngin! And after you watch go here and check out the Poetry section of My Messageboard.

Follow Flyboy on Twitter: Click here
Add Flyboy on Myspace: Click here
Watch Flyboy on Youtube: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment